9 New Supreme Court Judges were sworn in by the Chief Justice of India N.V. Ramana on Tuesday a unique and momentous day in the history of India. For the first time in 70 years Supreme Court, were sworn on one single day in filling the vacancies in the top court leaving just one post vacant.
The occasion was historic on several fronts. It was the first time as many as nine judges were sworn in to the Supreme Court in a single stroke.
New Supreme Court Judges 2021 take oath: Three of them are women judges.
One of them, Justice B.V. Nagarathna, is slated to be Chief Justice of India in 2027. Again, it was the first time the Supreme Court allowed a live telecast of the ceremony. Usually, cameras are not allowed in to cover the swearing-in of judges to the Supreme Court as the event is held in the Chief Justice of India’s courtroom. This time, it was held in an auditorium at the court’s new annexe complex.
Live Telecast of the Supreme Court Oath Ceremony for the first time ever
- Justice Abhay Shreeniwas Oka took oath as the Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court on May 10, 2019. He was born on May 25, 1960. He graduated in science and completed his post-graduation in law from the University of Bombay.
- Justice Vikram Nath took oath as the Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court on September 10, 2019. He was born on September 24, 1962. He started legal practice in March 30, 1987. He practised at the Allahabad High Court. He was elevated to the Allahabad High Court Bench on September 24, 2004.
- Justice Jitendra Kumar Maheshwari was Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court and Sikkim High Court before his appointment to the Supreme Court. He was born on June 29, 1961. An Arts graduate, he completed his post-graduation in law from Jiwaji University in Gwalior.
- Justice Hima Kohli was Chief Justice of Telangana High Court. Justice Kohli was sworn in as Supreme Court judge just two days before she was due to retire. Justice Kohli was elevated to the Delhi High Court Bench in 2006. Born on September 2, 1959 in Delhi, Justice Kohli graduated in History (Hons.) from St. Stephens College, University of Delhi
- Justice B.V. Nagarathna was judge, Karnataka High Court, before her appointment as Supreme Court judge. Justice Nagarathna was born on October 30, 1962 to Justice E.S. Venkataramiah (a former Chief Justice of India) and Padma Venkataramiah.
- Justice C.T. Ravikumar was a judge in the Kerala High Court before his elevation as Supreme Court judge. Justice Ravikumar’s journey to the top court has humble origins.
- Justice M.M. Sundresh was a judge of the Madras High Court before his elevation to the Supreme Court. Justice Sundresh was born on July 21, 1962 in Erode district of Tamil Nadu. A graduate of Loyola College in Chennai, he completed his Law at Madras Law College.
- Justice Bela M. Trivedi is the first woman judge from Gujarat High Court to be elevated to the Supreme Court. Born in June 1960, Justice Trivedi is only one among the nine new judges who has worked as a Civil and Sessions Judge in the subordinate judiciary.
- Justice P.S. Narasimha was a senior advocate before his appointment as judge of the Supreme Court. He is the ninth lawyer to be directly appointed from the Supreme Court Bar.